Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Beauty of God

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (1 Corinthians 2:9)

This morning I awoke early. It was still dark. As is customary, I made my coffee and sat before the Lord, journaling my heart, reading His word, and listening for His “still small voice.”

As light began to break, I could hear birds singing through closed windows. As I often do, I opened the window to unmuffle the avian choir as they welcomed the morning with their simple songs. Different birds warbled different melodies. I could hear some in the distance; others were near.

I thought, “How beautiful.” What a gift from God! Each morning He gently awakens creation with birdsong, calling out to mankind, “I love you.” Perhaps this is one reason not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without Him noticing.

Each evening, God paints glorious moving sunsets on the canvas of the skies. Every sunset is an original masterpiece. Each sunset is God reminding man, “There is more. Wait until you set eyes on the beauty of heaven’s skies.”

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it. And there is nothing hid from the heat thereof. (Psalm 19:1-6)

If eyes are “the window of the soul,” creation is the window to God’s soul and heaven’s beauty. There is endless beauty in God’s creation. And yet, creation in all its beauty is but a faint glimmer of the beauty of God and the age to come.

Everything God has created reflects some aspect of His beauty. Now we see imperfectly. One day we will see Him, the sum of all beauty, face-to-face. And, contrary to our sojourn in time, we will never tire of heaven’s beauty or grow accustomed to His face.

Prayer

Let me see Your beauty. Open my eyes to see Your glory in creation.

© 2008 Seeds for Good Soil; 27 April 2008.

No comments: