- Do not be lulled into complacency by recent reports that the US economic recession is easing;
- The current leveling-off of delining US and international markets will be short-lived;
- Following a brief respite, the US economy will enter a more protracted period of precipitous and painful decline; we are being given a reprieve to get our financial houses in order.
- Unemployment rates will climb sharply, well above the current rate of 9.4%;
- The President's approval numbers will plummet as increasing numbers of Americans awaken to his radical and destructive agenda.
- As unemployment lines lengthen and people lack basic necessities, civil unrest will ensue. Mounting credible evidence of Obama's foreign birth will add fuel to the fires of civil discontent. National Guard troops could be deployed to American cities to suppress unrest.
- The President's America-flagellating diplomacy and wishy-washy stand on international crises, his languid response to the Iranian regime's brutality toward its citizens and North Korea's nuclear saber rattling, will embolden Islamic terrorists to strike at the heart of America during this period of ecomomically-induced malaise. We need to pray that God will protect us from nuclear or other types of weapons of mass destruction; I am concerned that such attacks will be colossal and dramatic.
- The White House's diplomatic adultery with anti-Israel, Arab-Islamic interests in the Middle East at the expense of our friendship with the Jewish state will draw the ire of Israel's God and hasten America's demise.
- In the aftermath of another major terrorist attack, disillusioned American citizens will not rally behind the President and national resolve will wither. It is at this point that America will be most vulnerable to the designs of any number of anti-American regimes.
- The troubles that are unfolding in America are from the hand of God who is "giving America over" to the reprobation so many have have insisted upon. (Romans 1:28) God will not be mocked. We "have sown the wind" and we will "reap the whirlwind." (Hosea 8:7)
To those who put the unraveling of America decades into the future, think again. World events are accelerating rapidly.
The shipmaster shook the prophet Jonah from his slumber with the words, "What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not!" (Jonah 1:6) So must the Body of Christ arise and shake off sleep for America's time is short. Do not believe those who say, "all shall be well" and "peace, peace; when there is no peace." Such are false prophets. The prophet Joel wrote:
Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand ... the people shall be much pained: all faces shall gather blackness ... for the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; and who can abide it? Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil. Who knoweth if he will return and repent, and leave a blessing behind him; even a meat offering and a drink offering unto the LORD your God? Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet. Let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O LORD, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, Where is their God? (Joel 2:1,6,11,13-17)
There is Hope
During the 1970's America faced multiple major crises including the nation's first ever defeat in the Vietnam War, an OPEC oil embargo, critical shortages of oil and gasoline, skyrocketing fuel and food prices, endless lines at gasoline pumping stations, American diplomats held hostage in Iran, interest rates above 20%, high unemployment and inflation, the legalizing of abortion on demand, and to top things off, the spectre of nuclear annihilation at the hands of the Soviet Union during tense years of the Cold War era. But also during the 1970's, the "If My People" prayer movement began and spread across America as Christians of every persuasion came together in unity, prayer, intercession, and worship for a nation in trouble. The movement was based on the pattern for national healing outlined by God Himself in 1 Chronicles 7:14, If My People was a movement of prayer and intercession for the healing of America:
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14)
"If My People" bore miraculous fruit during the 1980's. Ronald Reagan was elected President for two successive terms as one of the most popular presidents in American history, across party lines. America entered a period of unprecedented economic growth and prosperity. The Iranian hostages were released immediately after Reagan's inauguration. The Iron Curtain separating East and West Europe crumbled like the walls of Jehrico and the spectre of thermonuclear war evaporated. The Gospel was freely preached and bore fruit again in every Eastern bloc country where it had once been prohibited by law. In short, the "weeping" that endured through the long night of the 1970's gave way to "morning joy" during the 1980's.
American needs a fresh "If My People" movement for these troubling times; a Church fully engaged according to 2 Chronicles 7:14 is the only hope America has left. If the Church delays, we do so at our own and America's peril.
I welcome feedback and comment.